By: Heather Tallman (Basilmomma)
When you think of a casserole, you might conjure up images of meals you had as a child that were full of carbohydrates, starches and fat- not to mention sodium. Who hasn’t had a few bad tuna noodle casseroles they would like to forget? You might not know it but you can make a lighter, healthier casserole that cuts the fat, calories, sodium AND is loaded with cancer fighting properties.
In our July Door to Wellness class we focused on this quintessential weeknight family meal: the casserole. Easy Chicken Casserole is a healthy blend of yellow or brown rice, tomatoes, peppers, black beans, carrots, sweet onions and lean chicken breast. This Easy Chicken Casserole can be made in a large 9 by 13 pan or split into two smaller pans. You could enjoy one for dinner and freeze the other for later use. Just thaw and bake until warm as all ingredients are pre-cooked.
The class enjoyed getting in on the action as we had a job for everyone at every skill level. I think July was our biggest class yet!
This Easy Chicken Casserole can be made for right under $12. A budget meal for sure and easy to tailor to your tastes and what is in season and on sale. Did I mention that this recipe was created by country music star Luke Bryan for Red Gold Tomatoes?
Easy Chicken Casserole
- 1 (10-ounce) package yellow rice mix
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 2 cups cooked chicken, diced
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (10-ounce) can Red Gold® Petite Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Prepare rice according to package directions.
- Heat oil in a medium sized skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion, green pepper and carrot; sauté for about 10 minutes or until soft.
- Add cooked rice, chicken, beans, petite diced tomatoes and 1½ cups of cheese to the skillet; stir to combine.
- Spoon the mixture, from skillet, into a 9 X 13 inch baking dish and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Cover and bake for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and bake an additional 10 minutes to melt cheese.
This recipe was shared with permission from Luke Bryan and Red Gold Tomatoes
Check out what Heather had to say about making Easy Chicken Casserole at Door to Wellness!